The trip through Pennsylvania, the Keystone state, is just 51 miles. I’ll cut to the chase. There are only two bridges on I-95 to care about.
But I’m passing lots more because Route 95 parallels the Delaware River much of the way. It’s a busy section of highway travelling next to the airport and right through Philadelphia.
- The first bridge I’m not crossing is the Commodore Barry Bridge. Uncrossable for me anyway.
- The second, the Walt Whitman Bridge, looking a lot like the Throgs Neck and Whitestone Bridges. So obviously I couldn’t cross it.
- Third, the Benjamin Franklin Bridge. I’m feeling the bug to read up on some history. But thumbs down on crossing this one.
- Fourth up is the Betsy Ross Bridge. Another thumbs down.
- Fifth is the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge looking questionably uncrossable for me.
- Sixth, the Burlington-Bristol Bridge. Nope.
I only tell you about them because on a real drive, I’d be careful to NOT accidentally take a turn that leads over one of these bridges. For me, it would be bound to happen. Think Murphy’s Law.
So back to the bridges actually on Route 95.
The Girard Point Bridge over the Schuylkill River is a double-decker looking doozy. Here it is, the fourth uncrossable bridge on my trip.Next and on my way out of the state is the Scudders Falls Bridge. It’s just 4 miles south of where George Washington crossed the Delaware River in 1776. With such a quaint name, how big and bad can it be. The Scudders Falls Bridge looks crossable to me. Now that I’ve made it across the Delaware, it’s on to New Jersey.
Pennsylvania Miles: 51
Total Miles Covered: 1234
Uncrossable Bridges: 4
Fuller Warren Bridge, Jacksonville, FL
Francis Scott Key Bridge, Baltimore, MD
Millard E. Tydings Memorial Bridge, Port Deposit, MD
Girard Point Bridge, Philadelphia, PA
Questionably Uncrossable: 1
Woodrow Wilson Bridge, VA-DC-MD
States Travelled: 8
States Remaining: 7